Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcakes . . .a buttery shortcake filled with mini chocolate chips then topped with sweetened whipped cream and fresh strawberries. These are divine!
If you love strawberry shortcake, then you are going to love these Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcakes. Because after all, isn’t everything better when you throw in some chocolate?
If you’ve only ever made strawberrry shortcake using angel food cake, then it’s definitely time that you branch out, shake things up a bit and give these a try.The shortcakes are so simple to make. They have this buttery, melt-in-your-mouth texture, that is divine! Then you top them with sweetened whipped cream and strawberries . . .are you hungry yet?
I love the bits of chocolate throughout, so much so, that I always throw in some extra chocolate chips. I also like to sometimes do half mini semi sweet chocolate chips and half milk chocolate chips.
This is the perfect dessert for your spring and summer BBQs.
A FEW TIPS ABOUT MAKING THESE SHORCAKES:
- It’s really important that you don’t overmix the ingredients. The batter will be thick, and kind of “shaggy looking”, don’t keep mixing it trying to get it smooth.
- DO NOT overbake these shortbreads because if you do, they will be dry and not very good. You want the bottoms to just be golden.
- Fold in the chocolate chips at the end, just until combined.
- These are best if eaten the day you make them.
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar*
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Sweetened whipped cream
Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving. (*If your strawberries are sweet enough, you don't need to add the sugar.)
In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk gently. Add the cream, 1/2 cup melted butter and vanilla into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
Drop by 1/3 cup portions of batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with the 1 tablespoon melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown (don't overbake them or they will be dry). Remove to a wire rack to cool (you can also serve slightly warm).
Cut biscuits in half horizontally. Top with whipped cream and strawberries. Serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Taste of Home