This Chocolate Oatmeal Cake might not be the prettiest cake around, but it will definitely win your taste buds over after the first bite. Incredibly delicious and moist, you will love this.
The other day I got thinking about this oatmeal cake for some reason, not sure why (couldn’t possibly be that my brain is always thinking about desserts). Anyway, I remembered a comment that my smart aleck friend left about there being no chocolate in that cake and that I needed to refrain from posting non-chocolate desserts, yes, he’s a huge chocoholic! So it dawned on me that duh, I could easily make a fabulous chocolate version of this cake. So I did and it’s insanely delicious. So thank you Eric!
This cake is incredibly moist and the topping is to die for. Now for all you coconut haters out there, my son Zach has never liked coconut and he l.o.v.e.d. this cake! I think this cake has converted him over.
I could just eat the topping by the spoonful, oh wait, I think I did. I am a huge fan of coconut, so I have a hard time restraining myself where there is coconut involved in anything.
Now if you’re like me, you can totally justify eating this cake because there’s oatmeal in it. Doesn’t oatmeal = healthy? The oatmeal totally balances out the chocolate chips and sugar, right? Humor me here would ya?
Now if you’ve got a sweet tooth most of the time like I do, this cake is the perfect thing to satisfy that sweet tooth. Also, if you don’t want an entire cake sitting around your house because you have no self-control when it comes to something this yummy, then you can easily half this cake and bake it in an 8×8 pan. Works like a charm.
- 1¾ cups boiling water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13 cake pan.
- Combine the water and the oatmeal and allow to soak while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Cream together the butter and both sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla to the bowl and mix well. Add flour, soda, salt and cocoa and mix until just combined. Stir in the oatmeal mixture and mix until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Make the topping by combining the butter, evaporated milk and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Pour over cake while still hot.
Recipe Source: 5 Boys Baker