A little bit of a twist on the classic Oatmeal Scotchies, these Crispy Polynesian Butterscotch Cookies have a little more crunch and yumminess going on inside.
I’m sure you’ve all eaten oatmeal scotchies before, they’ve been around forever. They were one of my favorite cookies as a kid and still are. But move over oatmeal scotchies because there is a new cookie in town. . . .
These Polynesian Crunchy Butterscotch Cookies are crazy delicious. They’re basically an oatmeal scotchie with more crunch and flavors going and I think I might like them even more! The other day I was going through my cookbook cupboard and pulled out a cookbook I bought years ago. It’s one of those family cookbooks that I bought at a boutique probably 12+ years ago and I’ve never made anything out of it (lol!). It’s been one of the cookbooks that I’ve put in my “get rid of pile” many, many times and then pulled it back out telling myself that one of these days I’ll make something out of it.
Turns out it’s a really good thing I didn’t get rid of it because that is where I found the recipe for these Polynesian Crispy Butterscotch Cookies.
I took some to my friend and she texted me and called herself a fickle pickle because she says every cookie I bring her is her favorite, until I bring another kind and then that’s her favorite. . . .she just can’t make up her mind.I am so in love with these cookies. Oh, and the dough, let’s just say it’s a miracle any cookies were actually baked.
Not only do they have oatmeal and butterscotch chips, but they’re also loaded with coconut and crushed cornflakes. . . YUMMY!
TIPS FOR MAKING THESE COOKIES:
- The recipe called for nuts, it’s no secret I am generally not a huge fan of nuts in cookies (there are a few exceptions), so I added extra coconut and corn flakes to make up the difference. If you want to add nuts, then reduce the coconut and corn flakes to 1/2 cup each and add in 1/2 cup chopped nuts (any kind you’d like).
- You want these to be golden around the edges then take them out of the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for about 3-4 minutes.
- I think white chocolate chips would added to these cookies along with the butterscotch chips would be delicious!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup crispy corn flakes
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Cream together the butter, oil, sugars, egg and vanilla. Add salt, baking soda, flour and mix until just incorporated. Add oats, coconut, crushed cornflakes and butterscotch chips and mix on low, just until combined.
Using a cookie scoop, place dough about 2-3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cookies sit on baking sheets for about 3 to 4 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.