This Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken & Rice is simple, packed with flavor, has just a bit of a kick and perfect for any weeknight meal.
Oh my heck! My son Braydon and I got caught in a torrential downpour yesterday. If you live in Salt Lake, you know what I’m talking about. Braydon and I were out running errands and the rain started to lightly fall and within seconds it was dumping rain and then hailing. I thought for sure the hail was going to crack my car windows it was hitting so hard. We pulled up to the store we needed to go into and I told Braydon I was not about to get out. He waited for a minute and said he was making a mad dash for it. I eventually did to when I could see the rain was not about to let up. It was crazy and we were laughing so hard. Our shoes were drenched from the huge puddles in the parking lot, our hair was dripping and we were a sopping wet mess. . . we were quite a sight! It’s June my friends and we had to turn the heater and seat warmers on in the car because we were so cold from being wet.
Thankfully this Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken & Rice was at home waiting for us. It was the perfect comfort food for a cold, rainy miserably wet day. You know how I love slow cooker meals and this one is ranking at the top of my favorite list right now.
I made this a couple weeks ago and we liked it, but thought it could use a few tweaks, so that’s what I did. My boys went crazy for it. My oldest son Josh was staking claims on the leftovers to take to work and Taylor inhaled a HUGE plate of it in about 58.3 seconds. To say we all loved it is a bit of an understatement. You could easily use this for tacos, or burritos, but honestly, it’s fantastic on it’s own. . . no shells even required.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) mild Ro-tel tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz) mild enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso)
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4 cups cooked rice (brown or white)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Sour cream, avocado, cilantro
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, enchilada sauce, garlic powder, paprika, salt, cumin and chipotle pepper; mix well and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to a plate and shred using two forks. Return chicken to the slow cooker. Add cooked rice and beans and stir well. Sprinkle cheese evenly across the top and cover. Let heat through about 20-30 minutes.
- Garnish sour cream, cilantro and avocado, if desired..
When you dump the shredded chicken back in, it may seem like there is too much liquid, but after you add the rice and beans, the rice absorbs the excess liquid, so don't drain any of the liquid off.
Recipe Source: Adapted from Taste of Home Slow Cooker Throughout the Year Cookbook
I linked up at: Buns In My Oven