When I made these tomatillo chicken soft tacos for the first time several weeks ago, I think we all had our socks knocked off. I knew from watching my boy’s faces after taking their first bite that I’d nailed it with dinner that night.
I’ve made them two more times since and they still knocked our socks off.
There is nothing fancy about them, no weird ingredients in them . . .they are just simple and delicious.
In takes about 5 minutes to throw everything into your slow cooker and in about 5 hours you will have the most amazing soft chicken tacos ever. Dinners just don’t get any easier. They have a little bit of a kick, but not too much. They flavor is just perfect! The sour cream tomatillo sauce was something I threw together last minute, trying to use up the last little bit of salsa I had left in the jar. It too was a big hit and made the tacos even more fabulous. Feel free to use your favorite kind of tortilla or taco shell. I just love the flavor of corn tortillas, so that’s what I chose to use.
You definitely need to try these. I pinky promise they will become one of your favorite meals.
- 1 cup jarred tomatillo salsa
- 2 poblano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 12-14 corn tortillas
- Avocados for garnish (optional)
- Sour Cream Tomatillo Sauce:
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. Tomatillo salsa
- Juice of one lime
- Combine salsa, poblanos, oregano, ½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. pepper in slow cooker, mix until combined. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours on low.
- Shred chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir in cilantro and lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve in warm tortillas and drizzle with sour cream sauce.
- To make sauce: combine ingredients and mix well.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from America’s Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2