Skillet dinners are one of my favorite things to make because they are simple, quick and so delicious. I saw this 20 Minute Tex-Mex Sausage Skillet the other day and immediately knew I had to make it. I’d set pretty high expectations for it just because anything else I’ve made from Jen’s blog has been outstanding and this absolutely DID NOT disappoint. This Sausage and Rice Skillet is insanely delicious!
This skillet dish is creamy, cheesy and packed with flavor. The combination of the smoked sausage with the red pepper purée and the spice of the tomatoes is seriously the most delicious thing ever!
Now if you’re not a fan of slightly spicy foods then make sure you use the mild Ro-tel tomatoes. We completely inhaled this dinner. Serve it with a nice green salad and/or some fruit and you have a fabulous dinners in no time at all.Print
Super quick, super easy, and super delicious this 20 Minute Tex-Mex Sausage & Rice Skillet will become a family favorite. Total comfort food!
- 1 pkg ((13 oz) Smoked Turkey Sausage, thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can black beans (, rinsed and drained)
- 1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes ((original or mild))
- 2 oz. cream cheese (, cubed)
- 4 cups cooked rice ((I used brown))
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach (, chopped/torn)
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Roasted Red Pepper Puree:
- 1 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers (, drained and patted dry)
- 1 jalapeno (, deveined, seeded, and roughly chopped)
- 1 small white onion (, peeled and quartered)
- 4 cloves garlic (, peeled)
- Garnishes: ((optional))
- avocado (, sour cream, cilantro, salsa, tortilla chips)
- Make the Roasted Red Pepper Puree by adding ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 3-4 minutes. Add the roasted red pepper puree, flour, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and continue to sauté for 3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Stir in chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes with green chilies and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and stir until smooth. Add rice and spinach and stir until well combined. Top with cheese and place under broiler for a few minutes until cheese is melted. Garnish as desired.
This definitely has kick to it, so if you’d prefer it to be a little milder, use the mild Ro-tel tomatoes or even just a can or regular diced tomatoes.
Recipe Source: Carlsbad Cravings