On the 9th Day of Sugar my true love gave to me . . . Apple Cranberry Cake w/ Nutmeg Butter Sauce
Ohhhh this apple cranberry cake is so divine and the nutmeg butter sauce is just completely pornagraphic. I could drink this stuff. . .oh wait, I did actually drink this stuff, I just couldn’t help myself Ü.
If you are looking for a fabulous dessert for your holiday dinner, I’ve got your back today. This cake will wow the guts out of your guests, I promise. The tartness of the apples and cranberries is offset by this delectable nutmeg butter sauce. It’s just like the butter sauce for our family favorite cranberry muffins, but it has nutmeg added to it which is just so freaking delicious I can’t even tell you. I highly recommend you use freshly grated nutmeg, it’s worlds better than the kind you buy already ground up. It’s worth every. single. penny.
This cake is phenomenal, I promise. You really, really need this cake in your life.Print
This apple cake is the perfect dessert
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries
- 2 cups shredded tart (, pared apples (I used granny smith))
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg ((fresh grated is best!!))
- Spray a 9×13 pan. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar, oil and eggs and extracts. Mix well. Add dry ingredients, mixing until smooth. Add lemon zest and apples, mix well. Stir in cranberries.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 45-50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm with nutmeg butter sauce.
- To make sauce: Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat stirring until mixtures comes to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and nutmeg.