This Apple Pudding Cake with Caramel Sauce is the perfect, simple, decadent dessert for any and all occasions. Even my chocoholic-self can’t eat just one piece.
Right up front I’m going to tell you that this Apple Cake With Caramel Sauce should come with a warning sign attached.
Like I want-to-do-a-faceplant-into-it good. It’s amazing, simple and so, so fabulous.
This is a recipe I got from mother-in-law years and years ago. She serves it with a butter sauce, which I love, but I am all for caramel when it comes to anything apple. This butter sauce is delicious over it, so if you’re not feeling the caramel thing, then go for the butter sauce (it’s pretty amazing too!). Or you could always make both.
Now if you’re wondering if something as simple and maybe unimpressive as this apple cake could win you over, I promise it can and it will. The cake itself is dense, moist, not too sweet, and absolutely delicious, but then you drizzle (ok, I actually ladle) warm caramel sauce over it, then it rises to a whole other level.
Take my word when I say this cake is a must.Print
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 large apples, peeled and shredded (I use Granny Smith)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (I use fresh nutmeg)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking pan, set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter together. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix until just combined then add shredded apples and mix well.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve cake warm with warm caramel sauce drizzled over the top. (Make caramel sauce while the cake is baking).
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium/medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and whisk for 1 minute. Add the salt and cream and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Allow to cool slightly. Serve over cut pieces of warm apple pudding cake.
Because we like to drench our pieces of cake with the caramel sauce, I double the recipe. But if you prefer just a light drizzle, a single batch should be enough.
I linked up at: Buns In My Oven