- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (gives them that “bakery donut” taste)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt* (I used vanilla yogurt)
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- extra sprinkles to sprinkle on top, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
For the donuts:
- whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the milk, yogurt, and egg together until smooth. Add the melted butter and vanilla, whisking until smooth and combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. The batter will be thick. Gently fold in the sprinkles. Don’t overmix because you don’t want the color bleeding.
- Spoon the batter into the donut cups or fill a large zipped-top bag for ease, cut a corner off the bottom of the bag and pipe the batter into each donut cup, filling 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full (I would definitely do it this way, so much easier to fill the donut pan!)
- Bake for 9–10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow the donuts to slightly cool before glazing.
For the glaze:
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk until the glaze is smooth. Remove from heat and immediately begin dunking the donuts, one by one, into the glaze.
- Transfer donuts to a wire rack that has a baking sheet or wax paper underneath to catch the glaze drippings. Dunk each donut a second time and then sprinkle with additional sprinkles.
- Nonfat, low fat, vanilla, plain, Greek or regular yogurt is fine to use.
- If you don’t have a donut pan, you can make this recipe into muffins using a muffin pan. Bake at the same temperature for 18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Desserts