Are you like me and always have extremely ripe bananas sitting on your counter, staring you in the face until you finally do something with them?
It never fails no matter how many bananas I buy, I ALWAYS have three or four left that sit there, uneaten, getting darker and darker by the day. Stupid thing is, even if the bunch I buy only has four or five bananas, three of them will inevitably hang there and become too ripe to eat.
I’m kind of funny about bananas, I cannot eat them if they even have one black spot on the peel. You see, one black spot means they are way to ripe for me and I will totally gag if I try and eat one. I just can’t do it, I’ve tried.
A friend I used to work with would bring bananas to work for lunch and the peel would be covered in black spots. I would watch her eat them and want to throw up. I know, I have issues.
I will gladly eat a banana that is completely yellow, and can still even be a little green (which my husband just does not understand) . . .I have no aversion to them that way. I know, like I said, I have issues.
I decided I didn’t want to make banana bread again, so this time I made banana cake from our family cookbook and I am really glad I did. I haven’t made this in so long and I’d forgotten how much I love it.
Hope you enjoy!Print
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3–4 bananas mashed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 8 oz pkg. cream cheese (, softened)
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar ((can use more or less, depending on the consistency you want))
- Preheat oven to 350 °.
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs and mix until combined, add sour cream and vanilla and mix well.
- Add salt, baking soda and flour, stir until combined.
- Mix in mashed bananas.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.
- In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until smooth.