I am not ashamed to admit that over the years grilled cheese sandwiches have saved my bacon many, many times. You know on those nights when you have no idea what to fix for dinner or forgot to take chicken out of the freezer, etc., those are the kind of nights I’m talking about when grilled cheese sandwiches have come to my rescue. They are simple, delicious, comforting, go perfectly with a side of tomato soup aaaand my boys love them. There is never whining or any complaints when I make them for dinner.
Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese? They are the epitome of comfort food. I guess it’s possible there are grilled cheese haters out there, so if you’re one of them, I am sorry.
One of my boys all-time favorite sandwiches are these sloppy joe grilled cheese. They would eat them weekly if they had their way. I decided to make a BBQ chicken version the other night and they were a smashing success. These BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese are gooey, cheesy and really messy but so worth it.
Definitely comfort food at it’s best! You will love these.Print
- 3 cups shredded chicken ((I used a rotisserie))
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce ((I use Sweet Baby Rays))
- 8 slices Texas toast bread
- 6 tbsp. butter softened ((or more or less, depending on how much you use))
- Extra BBQ sauce for drizzling
- 3 – 4 cups shredded cheese ((or more if you need it))
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken and BBQ sauce, mix well.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- To assemble sandwiches, place one slice of bread, butter side down onto griddle or skillet. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, a scoop of the chicken mixture, drizzle with more BBQ sauce and top with some more shredded cheese. Place a piece of bread on top, butter side up. Cook over medium heat until browned, carefully flip over and cook other side until browned.
Make sure you use Texas Toast bread or the thick french bread from Costco for these sandwiches, it makes them sooo much better. They are super messy and a little tricky to flip, but if you use a big enough spatula you shouldn’t have a problem.
- Category: Sandwiches/Burgers/Wraps
Recipe Source: 5 Boys Baker