- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (10-ounce) cans Ro-tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 1 pkg. (12 oz) wide egg noodles
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups Colby jack cheese
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, salt, and pepper and cook, breaking up pieces with spoon, until beef is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and cook until most liquid has evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add noodles and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Reserve 2 cups cooking water, then drain noodles.
- Whisk sour cream, cream cheese, cornstarch, and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water together in the now-empty pot until smooth (or you can use a bowl). Stir in noodles, remaining 1 1/2 cups cooking water, and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Spread noodle mixture in even layer in prepared baking dish. Spread beef mixture evenly over noodles. Sprinkle Colby Jack evenly over top.
- Bake until bubbling around edges and cheese is spotty brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Enjoy!