I’m going to let you in on a little secret. . . .I used to eat brown sugar by the spoonful as a kid. Did any of you? I loved the stuff. I’m pretty sure I wasn’t the only one of my siblings that did it.
It’s hard to believe I didn’t have a mouth full of cavities. The other day I caught my son Braydon doing it while I had the container of brown sugar sitting on the counter, I just smiled at him and laughed. . . .he’s definitely my child.
Now while I don’t eat it by the spoonful anymore, I still love it and most definitely get my fair share of it with all the baking I do. These Brown Sugar Cookies have been on my “to make list” forever, which is no surprise because, duh, “brown sugar”, it’s a no brainer. For some reason though, every time I went to make them, chocolate chip cookies always trumped them because we all know I have a slight addiction to chocolate chip cookies/dough.
Shame on me for giving into my addiction and not making these cookies sooner. They are amazing! Using dark brown sugar in these cookies gives them a butterscotch/brown sugar flavor that is so delicious and adds to their chewiness. Then to make these even better and chewier, they start with not just melted, but melted browned butter which we all know is completely magical.
These cookies are so perfect! Crispy edges and soft and chewy in the middle. Absolute perfection, even if they contain no chocolate.Print
Brown Sugar Cookies
- Total Time: 14 minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen 1x
- 14 Tbsp. butter
- 1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar (, packed, plus 1/4 cup for rolling)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Heat 10 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch stainless steel (not nonstick) skillet or saucepan over medium heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Watch it carefully because it will all of a sudden turn brown.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons of the butter and stir until melted. Set aside for about 15 minutes to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine granulated sugar and ¼ cup brown sugar in a bowl. Mix until well combined, set aside.
- To the cooled butter, add the 1 3/4 cup brown sugar into mixer and stir until there are no lumps.
- Add in egg, yolk and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Mix just until combined.
- Roll cookie dough into balls, about 2 Tbsp each.
- Roll into sugar mixture and place on baking sheet, about 2-inches apart.
- Bake until cookies are browned around edges and puffy in center, (centers will still look soft), about 12-14 minutes. Rotate cookie sheets halfway through baking.
- Cool cookies for 5 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack.
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: Cookies
Recipe Source: Cooks Illustrated Baking Book
Leave a Reply