- 14 Tbsp. butter
- 1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar (, packed, plus 1/4 cup for rolling)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Heat 10 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch stainless steel (not nonstick) skillet or saucepan over medium heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Watch it carefully because it will all of a sudden turn brown.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons of the butter and stir until melted. Set aside for about 15 minutes to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine granulated sugar and ¼ cup brown sugar in a bowl. Mix until well combined, set aside.
- To the cooled butter, add the 1 3/4 cup brown sugar into mixer and stir until there are no lumps.
- Add in egg, yolk and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Mix just until combined.
- Roll cookie dough into balls, about 2 Tbsp each.
- Roll into sugar mixture and place on baking sheet, about 2-inches apart.
- Bake until cookies are browned around edges and puffy in center, (centers will still look soft), about 12-14 minutes. Rotate cookie sheets halfway through baking.
- Cool cookies for 5 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack.
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: Cookies