This Browned Butter Zucchini Coffee Cake is amazing! Moist, slightly dense, topped with a browned butter streusel topping then drizzled with a glaze on top.
Summer is all too quickly coming to an end, so I’m trying to squeeze a few more zucchini recipes in. I think zucchini might just be a thing people have a love/hate relationship with. You love how delicious and versatile it is, buuut you hate that you have multiple gargantuan zucchini in your garden that stayed on the vine just a wee bit too long, and they’re staring you in the face.
Am I right?
Well I’ve got the perfect thing to make using some of those zucchinis that Have taken over your garden. How does Browned Butter Zucchini Coffee Cake sound?
I don’t know about you, but this cake had me at browned butter. The stuff is magical, I swear it makes everything happier. Then, as if browned butter wasn’t enough, you’ve got a browned butter streusel on top of this cake that is absolutely my favorite part. I am a streusel-lovin’ girl, that’s for sure.
This cake is so simple to make and so absolutely delicious you will want to make it over and over again. You’re going to want it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This cake will make you be glad you have a garden full of oversized zucchini begging to be used.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (, cut into tablespoons)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- Brown Butter Streusel Topping:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (, cut into tablespoons)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, brown the butter by cooking over medium-low heat, swirling occasionally, until butter turns golden brown and has a nutty aroma. Pour the browned butter into a bowl, being sure to scrape all the brown bits from the pan. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl with the browned butter add the Greek yogurt or sour cream, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and stir. Add the shredded zucchini and stir until well combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Make the streusel topping by browning the butter the same way you did for the cake. Pour butter into a small bowl and set aside to cool slightly. To the bowl with the butter, add the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Mix together with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over cake.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake is light golden brown. Let the cake cool on a wire cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the glaze by combining in a small bowl the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk until smooth and drizzle over cooled cake. Cut into squares and serve.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Two Peas And Their Pod