It’s a known fact that one can never have too many brownie recipes in their arsenal which is why I’m sharing these Brownie Caramel Nut Bars with you today. These are fudgy, decadent, gooey and oh so good.
Now I’m not usually a fan of nuts in things. I’ve mentioned before that I love nuts on their own, but I don’t believe they belong inside cookies or brownies. However, there are some exceptions where I’m ok with nuts being in things, or in this case on top of things. These brownies happen to be one of those exceptions. The nuts add just a bit of a crunch and I love the slight bit of saltiness they bring.
I like to eat these slightly chilled, but they are also delicious at room temp, so you be the judge.
These come together so quick and are easy to make. Honestly, the worst part is unwrapping the caramels so I recommend you con your kids into doing it which is what I usually do, but they were all at school dang it. So the moral of this story is make these when your kids are at home!Print
These brownies are fudgy, gooey and so, so decadent. You will love them.
- 1 ⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ⁄3 cup flour
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips ((I used half milk, half semi-sweet))
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted (, salted almonds)
- Caramel Topping:
- 30 caramels
- 1 ⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Spray foil with nonstick spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, butter and water; cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Remove from heat and immediately add 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips; stir until melted.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Add flour. salt and baking soda, stir until just combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. As soon as the brownies come out of the oven, carefully spread melted caramel mixture over brownies. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Cool in refrigerator. Grab the edges of the foil to liift brownies out, cut and serve
- Store in refrigerator.
I liked these best chilled, but if you would rather eat them at room temp, just take them out of the fridge 30 minutes or so before serving. Also, the recipe called for pecans but I opted for roasted, salted almonds so feel free to use whatever you’d like. If you don’t want the nuts, then just leave them off.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Hershey’s Chocolate Lover’s Cookbook