This Butterscotch Pudding Dessert is divine! A graham cracker crust topped with cream cheese, butterscotch pudding and Cool Whip. This no-bake dessert is perfect for BBQ, potlucks or those hot summer days.
I’m sure you’ve all heard of Better than Sex Dessert/Chocolate Lush/Chocolate Pudding Dessert/Robert Redford Dessert, etc. (phew. . . . that’s a lot of names). You know, the layered dessert that starts with a shortbread type crust, then has a cream cheese layer followed by a chocolate pudding layer and then topped off with Cool Whip.
Sheesh, how did one dessert get so many different names?
Anyway, my mom made it growing up and it was one of my favorite desserts. Sometimes she’d switch things up and make it with butterscotch pudding or even pistachio pudding. I loved them both, especially the butterscotch version.
Several years ago she came across a recipe for that same dessert, but instead of the shortbread crust, it had a graham cracker crust. . .YUM! So of course she made it and I fell in love with that version too.
My boys went crazy over it which as no surprise seeing as how whenever we go get Kong Kones (soft serve ice cream cones from a local grocery store), they are always hoping they have the butterscotch dip so they can get their cones dipped.
I love this dessert in the summer because it’s no bake which obviously means there’s no heating up my kitchen when it’s 95+ degrees outside. This stuff is so, so good. I could have eaten the entire pan. I know I always say that, but sadly it’s the truth.This is the perfect dessert for those hot summer days because you don’t have to turn your oven on. You will love everything about this dessert. The graham cracker crust paired with the butterscotch pudding is heavenly!
I hope you give this one a try and I’d love to hear back from you if you do.
TIPS FOR MAKING BUTTERSCOTCH PUDDING DESSERT:
- Don’t forget to lightly butter your baking dish before pressing the graham cracker crust into the bottom.
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature. This makes it so much easier for it to whip up smoothly.
- Whisk your pudding and milk together really well so it’s not lumpy, because who likes lumpy pudding?!
- This is better if it chills several hours before serving, so make sure you plan ahead. I like to actually make it the night before, then it’s plenty chilled.
- If you prefer using real whipping cream you can, I just find that this dessert holds up much better and lasts several more days in the fridge if you use Cool Whip.
- We love toffee bits sprinkled on top, but chocolate curls would be delicious as well.
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
Cream Cheese Layer:
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 8- oz Cool Whip (divided)
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1 small pkg. instant butterscotch pudding
- Cool Whip (4 oz)
- Toffee bits, optional
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Press mixture into the bottom of a buttered 9×9 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar using a hand mixer. Fold in half (4 oz) of the Cool Whip. Spread over graham cracker crust.
- Combine the milk and pudding mix and whisk together for 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth and thickened. Pour over cream cheese layer.
- Spread remaining Cool Whip on top and sprinkle with toffee bits (if desired). Refrigerate for several hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW IF YOU GIVE THIS A TRY! I’D LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK!
Recipe Source: 5 Boys Baker