Just when you think chocolate chip cookies can’t get any better, they can and do! These Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies are outrageously good!
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cold, cut into 1/2‑inch pieces)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 18 caramels (halved)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, mix together flour, both sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter and beat on medium until combined but some pea-size butter pieces remain. Add chocolate chips and beat until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Continue mixing until dough comes together (this takes a few minutes).
- Scoop dough into 4-ounce balls (each about 1/3 cup) and make a deep, wide hollow in each center. Enclose 3 pieces of caramel in each and roll back into a ball. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 3 inches apart. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes (don’t skip this step).
- Bake cookies 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F, rotate sheets, and continue to bake until centers are almost but not completely set about 7-10 more minutes. Bang baking sheets on a counter a few times to create cracks in tops of cookies. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.