Cheesy, hearty, and full of flavor this Cheeseburger Soup is absolutely delicious!! Quick and simple to make. This will make the whole family happy!
I posted this recipe about 7 years ago and decided it was in desperate need of new photos (like so many of my older posts are!) and definitely worthy of being brought back into the spotlight.
This Cheeseburger Soup is the ultimate comfort food. It’s loaded with ground beef, potatoes, carrots and cheese and it’s absolutely delicious. This soup will warm you from head to toe and if you’re like me and always freezing in the winter, that is a good thing!
My boys love this soup and they don’t even pick out the celery! But probably only because I chop it really small and so you really can’t even tell it’s in there (lol!)
CAN I MAKE THIS IN THE SLOW COOKER?
Yes you can! First, brown the ground beef according to the directions and add it to your slow cooker. Then add the onion, carrots, celery, basil, parsley, garlic powder, chicken broth and potatoes. Cover and cook on low 4 to 6. About 30 to 45 minutes before serving, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a small skillet. Whisk in the flour and cook and stir about 1 to 2 minutes, or until bubbly. Add to soup and stir. Add the cubed Velveeta and cover and continue to cook for about 30-45 minutes. Just before serving, stir in the sour cream.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHEESEBURGER SOUP:
- If you don’t have shredded carrots on hand, you can cut a couple medium-size carrots into small pieces.
- Try to keep your potatoes the same size so they cook evenly.
- If you’re not a fan of Velveeta, you can use about 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese in place of the Velveeta. I highly recommend using the Velveeta though. It adds a creaminess to this soup that is so good!
- If you want to add garnishes, try adding some crumbled, crispy bacon and green onions on top.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced & peeled potatoes (1–3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 oz Velveeta, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan, brown ground beef, drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley and garlic powder in 1 tablespoon of the butter until vegetables are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the chicken broth, potatoes and ground beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour and cook and stir about 1 to 2 minutes, or until bubbly. Add to soup the soup and bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat and stir in sour cream. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Category: Soups/Chili
Originally posted November 22, 2013
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Taste of Home