- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced & peeled potatoes (1–3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 oz Velveeta, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan, brown ground beef, drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley and garlic powder in 1 tablespoon of the butter until vegetables are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the chicken broth, potatoes and ground beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour and cook and stir about 1 to 2 minutes, or until bubbly. Add to soup the soup and bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat and stir in sour cream. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Category: Soups/Chili