Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great week-end. I’ve tried all day to get this recipe posted, but I’ve been having major internet issues. We’re finally up and running thank goodness.
Today I have a YuMmY recipe to share. It’s total comfort food, which is good, because I am in need of all the comfort I can get right now. I am missing my son like crazy! It’s been 19 days since we dropped him off at the MTC and tomorrow he leaves for Guatemala. He gets to call from the airport — I CaN’t wAiT to talk to him. I’ve been drowning my sorrows by baking and sending him treats that I know he loves. Now that he’s going to be so far away, it’s not going to be as easy getting stuff to him and there’s no guarantee he’ll even get what we send. I’m keeping my fingers crossed though.
So back to this recipe, this stuff is good — really good. I threw it together for dinner the other night and it was a HUGE hit. Two of my sons had friends over and they loved it too. Everyone devoured it! I was seriously laughing because they were all shoveling it in their mouths and most of them went back for seconds. Trust me when I tell you this is a keeper. I can’t wait to make it again.
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1–2 tablespoons hot sauce ((I used 1 Tbsp.))
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 4 cups steamed white rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In large cast iron skillet or fry pan, cook bacon until crisp, drain and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Place butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted whisk in flour, and pepper until smooth and bubbly.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth. Increase heat to high whisking broth until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Stir in hot sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer and set aside.
- Place reserved 2 tablespoons bacon drippings back to cast iron skillet and stir in cooked rice.
- Add chicken and cheese sauce, mixing to combine. Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese then top with crumbled cooked bacon.
- Place under oven’s broiler for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Picky Palate