This Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole is simple and so delicious! Total comfort food and so easy to throw together. Even your pickiest eaters will love this.
It’s February (just in case you’ve forgotten) and I live in Utah and yesterday I opened my kitchen window and sliding door to let some fresh air in. . .how insane is that folks?
My car said it was 64 degrees. There is no snow on the ground and none in the forecast for the next 10 days. Have we even had winter? I don’t think so. It’s totally crazy. I’m not going to lie though, I am enjoying it! I hate the cold so these warmer temps have been making me so happy. I know we need the snow and I’m sure it will come in April and May. Mother Nature just has things backwards right now for Utah.
I love making yummy hot soup on cold snowy days, buuut since we haven’t had any of those I made Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole. In fact, I made it twice this week because it was so good (and because I didn’t get any pictures the first night :)).
This is just simple, delicious, uncomplicated food. I love it. No weird ingredients, just everything you probably already have in your house. In 10 minutes it’s ready to throw in the oven and then 90 minutes later out comes a fabulous dish. Let me know what you think!Print
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk or half n half (I used fat free)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 lb ground beef , cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked rice (Not minute rice)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced
- Seasoning Salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded colby jack or medium cheddar cheese ((or about 6–7 slices))
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×9″ baking dish.
- Cook ground beef and salt, drain excess grease off. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the water, milk and cream of mushroom soup. Add, cooked beef, rice and carrots and stir to combine. Sprinkle top with a little seasoning salt.
- Pour into an 8×9″ baking dish and bake, uncovered for 90 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese or add slices of cheese and return to the oven for another couple of minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Just plan ahead because this does need to bake for 90 minutes. It’s fast to throw together, it just takes a while to cook.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Oh Sweet Basil