- 4 to 5 medium size carrots, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, warmed
- 1 1/2 –2 cups Grated cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, cover the carrots with water. (*Make sure you fill it with enough water so when you add the potatoes they will be covered too.) Bring to a boil and cook carrots until tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Add potatoes to the same pan and continue boiling carrots and potatoes together until potatoes are fork tender (about another 15 to 18 minutes) .
- Drain potatoes and carrots in a colander and return to the large pot. Mash with a potato masher until mostly mashed (*see tips section). Add butter, pepper, salt and Lawry’s seasoning and continue mashing with the potato masher, adding milk a little at a time until desired consistency is reached. Use a hand mixer and continue mixing on medium speed for just about 30 seconds to get them light and fluffy. (*You may still have small pieces of carrots, that’s ok!).
- If needed, add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread evenly into a buttered casserole dish/baking pan.
- Top with grated cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are completely heated through. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Serve immediately. Store in refrigerator once cooled.