These Chicken and Black Bean Tostadas are a quick and delicious meal that is sure to please everyone. Keep them simple or top them off with any toppings of your choice.
If you’re looking for a simple, fast and fabulous dinner, then you’re going to love these Chicken and Black Bean Tostadas. They were a smashing success at our house the other night, even my picky, picky Braydon scarfed them right down.
I am so in love with these.
No weird ingredients, nothing out of the ordinary, and so quick to throw together, especially because you use a rotisserie chicken. The avocado cream sauce isn’t necessary, but highly recommended. If you do decide to make it, just make it in the morning and put it in the fridge. I do think it’s best if it’s eaten within the first couple days of making it.
CAN I USE STORE BOUGHT TOSTADA SHELLS?
Yes of course you can. Most grocery store sell already made tostada shells which are super convenient. But you can also follow the directions in the recipe and make your own. They’re super simple to make. Just a personal preference here.Print
- 4 to 5 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 5 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- to 4 cups, shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese (or any cheese you’d like)
AVOCADO CREAM SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- juice from one 1/2 of a lime (or more if you’d like)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush tortillas all over with 3 tablespoons oil and arrange in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans and water, cook, mashing beans with potato masher, until mixture is creamy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in half of the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread bean mixture evenly over tortillas. Top with chicken and cheese and bake for 5 minutes. Top with remaining cilantro. Serve with avacado cream sauce, or top with any toppings of your choice if desired.
Avocado Cream Sauce:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Once butter has melted, add flour and stir to combine and continue stirring over heat for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in half and half and chicken broth. Continue stirring over medium heat until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and add garlic salt, onion powder and salt. Stir to combine. Let sauce cool down completely then pour sauce in blender. Add avocado, cilantro and lime juice. Cover and beat/pulse until smooth consistency.
The avocado cream sauce is totally optional, but I highly recommend it. You will have extra so try it over scrambled eggs or on a sandwich . . . .so yummy!