These Slow Cooker Chicken Burritos are fantastic! The chicken filling is done in your slow cooker and is absolutely delicious! These are going to become a favorite!
Happy Monday. I hope everyone had a great weekend. We finally got snow on Saturday, but it’s already melted so now we’re back to staring at ugly, yellow, dead grass.
These Slow Cooker Chicken Burritos rocked our table the other night and I don’t think my boys were able to inhale them fast enough. They barely came up for air as they shoveled them into their mouths and in between bites they kept mumbling things like these are so good, you need to make these again, etc.
The filling for these burritos is done if your slow cooker, which always makes meal time easier. You can put all the ingredients thrown into your slow cooker in the morning, then finish assembling them close to dinner time.
Now don’t get overwhelmed when you see the long recipe and directions. The chicken filling is made in your crockpot and can be made a few days ahead. It is so delicious, I could have just eaten it on it’s own. It makes a decent amount and the great thing is the leftovers can used for other meals. I got two meals out of it, these burritos and a Mexican lasagna, both fantastic, but my boys voted the burritos were the big winner.
You can keep these super simple and just use plain cooked rice, but I used my homemade cilantro rice which is super easy to make, and I think made these burritos even more amazing. I’ve included the recipe below. It makes a fair amount and you only need one cup, but just stick the rest in the fridge and use it as a side dish for your next dinner. It’s so, so yummy. We also drizzled my homemade cafe rio dressing over these because my boys pretty much could pour that and/or ranch dressing on anything.Print
SHREDDED CHICKEN FILLING:
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups shredded chicken filling
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked rice* (SEE NOTE)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Monetary jack, Colby or pepper jack)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 10– inch flour tortillas
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
CILANTRO RICE: (optional)
- 3 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 can (4oz) diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups minute rice
SHREDDED CHICKEN FILLING:
- Microwave onion, chili powder, oil, jalapeño garlic, coriander, and cumin in bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomato sauce and sugar into slow cooker. Season chicken with salt and pepper, add to slow cooker, and coat evenly with sauce mixture. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.
- Transfer chicken to large bowl, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces; cover to keep warm. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Toss shredded chicken with 1 cup braising liquid; add more liquid as needed to keep meat moist and flavorful. Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray an 11-7-inch baking dish. Set aside. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, beans, cooked rice, 1 cup cheese and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay tortillas on counter and divide filling between tortillas. Mound filling into a “tidy pile” over bottom half of tortillas, leaving a 1 to 2-inch border around edges. Roll tortillas up by folding the sides of the tortilla over the filling, then tightly roll the bottom edge of the tortillas up over the filling and continue to roll into a burrito. Place seam side down in prepared pan.
- Pour enchilada sauce over burritos and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- In a medium size pan, bring water and bouillon to a boil.
- In a food processor, blend garlic, cilantro, and chilies together. Add this to the boiling water along with the salt, butter and rice. Stir well and reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- This chicken is good on top of tostadas or in burritos, tacos, quesadillas, or enchiladas.
- This filling can be made ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
- I love to make a batch of my cilantro rice and use 1 cup of that in these burritos. BUT, you certainly can use plain, white or brown rice if you’d like. If you do make the cilantro rice, you DO NOT need to whole batch for these burritos, you only need 1 cup of it mixed into the chicken filling. Use the rest as a side dish for for another meal.
- Category: Main Dishes
Recipe Source: American’s Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution (chicken filling & burritos)