Marinated chicken, wrapped in warm pita bread and topped with creamy tzatziki sauce and fresh salad. . . these Chicken Gyros are so simple and absolutely delicious! You’ll go crazy over them.
These Chicken Gyros fall into that simple & delicious category. They scored rave reviews the first time I made them. I think we all inhaled them in about 43.7 seconds flat. We love them!
The chicken on its own is amazing! Then you add the tzatziki sauce, tomatoes and cucumber piled onto soft pita bread . . .holy yum!
These are easy, fast, flavorful and so practical with just a few simple ingredients that you probably already have. The chicken does have to marinate for at least a few hours, so make sure you plan ahead. If you’re feeling adventurous or all Betty Crocker-y, then you could make this amazing soft flatbread for these Gyros.Print
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- Pitas or flatbread
For The Marinade:
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Greek plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Greek plain yogurt
- 1 cucumber, (peeled and seeded)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and shake to mix. Add the chicken into the ziplock bag, seal and shake to cover all the chicken in the Marinade. Marinate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
To make the Tzatziki:
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and use a teaspoon to scrape the seeds out. Coarsely grate the cucumber using a box grater. Wrap shredded cucumber in paper towels or a tea towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- Place the shredded cucumber in a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix well and then set in refrigerator at least 20 minutes for the flavors to meld.
For the Salad:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix.
Cooking the chicken:
- Brush your outdoor grill with oil. Remove chicken from Marinade and cook over medium heat until cooked through 5 to 6 minutes per side, cooking time depends on the size of your chicken breasts. (You can also cook the chicken on your stovetop in a skillet of frying pan.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and place on a plate. Cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Warm up pitas or flatbread. Place some salad down the center then top with chicken pieces and Tzatziki. Enjoy!
Recipe Source: I took a few different recipes I found online and combined them, I just don’t remember which websites. . . oops!