I love skillet dinners and this one happens to be incredibly fast and so incredibly delicious! The great thing about this recipe is it takes the classic Chicken Parmesan and turns it into a super duper, easy peasy, skillet dinner. The last thing I want to be doing in the summer is spending hours in the kitchen, slaving over dinner. This dish comes together so quick and tastes absolutely delicious. The fire-roasted tomatoes and fresh basil (which I absolutely LOVE!) give this dish amazing flavor.
My boys deemed it BW (blog worthy), so hopefully you will agree!Print
- 1 pound frozen breaded boneless chicken breasts
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves (, minced (I only used 3))
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano or 1 tsp. minced fresh
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces (3 3/4 cups) penne
- 4 ounces shredded Italian cheese blend ((1 cup))
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Bake chicken according to package instructions; let cool slightly and slice crosswise into 1/2 inch-wide strips. Heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Meanwhile, pulse tomatoes in food processor until coarsely ground and no large pieces remain. Cook oil, garlic, oregano, pepper flakes and 1/4 tsp. salt in a 12-inch oven-safe nonstick skilled over medium-high head until fragrant, about 1 minutes.
- Stir in processes tomatoes, water, 1 cup broth and pasta.
- Cover and cook at vigorous simmer, stirring often, until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Scatter sliced chicken evenly over top and sprinkle with cheese. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cheese has melted and chicken is crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Recipe Source: America’s Test Kitchen Quick Family Cookbook