I love when I make something that ALL my boys go crazy over. This was one of those things. My sweet little Braydon is the pickiest eater on the planet and he absolutely loved this —when that happens, I feel like I’ve struck gold!
This stuff was good . . .really good.
Pure comfort food.
My boys went crazy over this . . .they devoured it.
If you need something quick and amazing, this is it. It definitely had some kick to it because I used medium enchilada sauce, so if you want a little less kick, use mild. Mmmmm, so yummy, I can’t wait to make this again.Print
Chicken Tamale Casserole
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese (, grated)
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese (, grated)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce (mild or medium)
- 1 pound ground chicken ((turkey or beef work well also))
- salt and pepper (, to taste)
- fresh chopped cilantro or parsley (, to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the cheeses in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1/4 cup of the combined cheese, the milk, egg, cumin, red pepper, corn, muffin mix, and the green chiles. Stir until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes or until just set.
- While the cornbread is baking, cook your ground chicken in a skillet over medium heat until cooked completely through. Drain, if necessary, and salt and pepper the chicken.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven and pierce all over with a fork. Pour the enchilada sauce over the corn bread. Top with the chicken and remaining cheese.
- Return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro or parsley and serve.
- Category: Main Dishes
Recipe Source: Buns In My Oven
This does sound likea boy pleasing meal! I will have to put it on the menu:) yum!!
I finally got around to making this tonight! It was DELICIOUS! Thanks again! I have to tell you that Jason made the Buffalo pizza sticks yesterday and I made the yummy Chex mix caramel concoction. We loved them both!
So glad you liked everything. Isn’t the Chex mix addicting?!
Jody R. says
I made this one last night and the white chicken chili a few weeks ago. Both are new family favorites 🙂 Kade wants to change the name of this one though. He calls it Mexican cake! Funny kid 😉
Hey Jody, tell Kade he can call it whatever he wants! This one if one of my boys absolute favorites. So glad you guys liked it!