- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1–1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (10 oz. Can) Rotel Tomatoes And Green Chilies
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 cans (15 oz. can) black beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal or masa
- diced avocados
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides. Set aside the rest of the spice mix.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done. Use two forks to shred chicken. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium high heat.
- Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and minced garlic. Stir and begin cooking, then add about a teaspoon more of the spice mix. Stir to combine, then add shredded chicken and stir.
- Pour in Rotel, chicken stock, tomato paste, water, and black beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Check seasonings, adding more if needed—add more chili powder if it needs more spice, make sure you add enough salt.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with Fritos, avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, etc.
- Category: Soups/Chili