This Chinese Orange Beef is made with tender slices of steak coated in a sweet Asian ginger sauce and served with rice. A simple, delicious dinner.
It’s fall break for my boys and since we didn’t go anywhere, we are just doing things around home. Yesterday we grabbed lunch and came home and watched the old Disney movie Watcher In The Woods?
Do you guys remember that? I remember watching it for the first time as a kid. It scared me silly, but I loved it. Movies have definitely come a long way since then, but even after seeing it over and over, it still gets to me and I still jump at times. The first time my boys watched it even scared them, they love it. It’s and oldie, but a goodie.
Ok, let’s talk dinner now. This orange beef is delicious and you really need to make it. My boys absolutely loved it. I’ve made it twice this week because it’s so good, not to mention it’s incredibly fast and easy to make. This meal comes together in about 20 minutes. Make sure you get your rice cooking first since it takes longer to cook than the orange beef takes to make. The flavors of this are absolutely fabulous, and we all decided that it got better and better with each bite. I highly recommend using flank steak. I know it’s a little pricey, but one of the times I made this I didn’t use flank steak and it’s best with the flank steak.
Recipe Source: America’s Test Kitchen The Best Simple RecipesPrint
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, plus 1/2 cup juice
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar (I use light)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 scallion, sliced thin
- Slice flank steak lengthwise with grain into 2-inch wide pieces, then cut each strip crosswise against the grain into thin slices. Whisk orange zest and juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce, ginger and cornstarch in bowl.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Pat steak dry with paper towels. Cook half of the steak until browned, about one minute each side. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with remaining oil and steak. Transfer to the bowl.
- In same skillet, add orange juice mixture and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Add steak, along with any juices, to skillet and toss to coat. Sprinkle with scallions (optional) and serve over rice.
- Category: Main Dishes