I can’t believe I’m even posting a cookie recipe today after all the sugar cookies I ate yesterday. You would think I’d be cookied out. I guess it helps that I actually made these cookies a couple weeks ago so they’re not staring me in the face begging me to eat them. Because I’d probably cave and eat one or four because, after all, they are cookies.
Everyone’s definition of the perfect chocolate chip cookie is different. Like I’ve said before, I love a chocolate chip cookie that’s soft in the center, has just a little bit of chewiness and is slightly crispy on the edges. These cookies are exactly that! I love my browned butter chocolate chip toffee cookies, but these are just different enough that I love them just as much.
The dough is ridiculously good. Honesty, when I make these, I’m not sure if I end up eating more dough or more cookies. I guess I’d better make them again soon and see :).
I used Skor toffee bits in these cookies because I’m lucky enough to have some in my freezer that my friend bought me when she was in Canada last year. If you can buy Skor toffee bits where you live, then I prefer them over Heath toffee bits. But if you can’t buy Skor toffee bits, then Heath will work just fine.
You don’t want the butter quite room temperature soft, make sure it’s a little cooler than room temp. I put mine in the microwave at 10% power for about 1 minute.
After these cookies come out of the oven, I like to take a plastic knife or a small metal spatula and go along the edge of the cookies and reshape any cookies that have spread too much or baked up a funny shape.
This makes about 4 dozen cookies so I usually either half the recipe or freeze them. They are soo good right out of the freezer. I also sometimes don’t bake all the dough and freeze cookie dough balls.
- 1 1/2 cups butter (, slightly softened)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips (( I use 1/2 milk, 1/2 semisweet))
- 1 1/2 cups toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together butter and sugars, just until mixed (don’t cream, you still want a few small lumps of butter). Add eggs and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt, mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and toffee bits.
- Scoop the dough into rounded tablespoons and place on a lined cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes or until edges just barely begin to turn golden brown.
- Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. minute