- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 7 tablespoons cocoa, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup of the sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, butter and vanilla; mix until smooth. Pour into an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar and remaining 4 tablespoons cocoa. Sprinkle cocoa mixture evenly over batter. Pour the hot tap water over top. DO NOT STIR!
- Bake until center is almost set, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Spoon into dessert dishes. Garnish with ice cream or whipped cream.