Chocolate cream pie is one of my all time favorite pies. It’s true comfort food, or maybe I should say comfort dessert— whatever you want to call it, it’s delicious and I love it.
Sadly, it’s been waaaay too long since I’ve made one, probably because I’ve either been too busy making chocolate chip cookies and/or because of the whole pie crust issue I have. Well, this time I opted for a graham cracker crust, which I usually don’t do with chocolate cream pie, but this time I did and guess what? It totally works. An oreo crust would be fabulous too as is just the good old pastry pie crust.
This is the chocolate cream pie I have been making since I got married. The recipe comes from the original Lion House Cookbook (one of my favorites). I got it as a wedding gift and let me just say it is a little worse for wear. If you’re looking for a pie to go along side your pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving, I’ve got you covered.
Chocolate Cream Pie
This chocolate cream pie is the perfect dessert after any meal . . .smooth, creamy and absolutely delicious.
- 5 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 3/4 cups half-n-half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup chocolate syrup ((I use Hershey’s))
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbl. salted butter
- 1 cup whipping cream (, sweetened and whipped)
- 1 prepared pie crust (, any type)
- Chocolate curls for garnish (, optional)
- Mix the cornstarch, sugar and salt in a 3-quart saucepan. Slowly whisk in the milk and half-and-half. Heat over medium heat until smooth and thick, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl with the egg yolks, pour a small amount of the hot mixture into egg yolks, blend thoroughly, then, pour the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan and whisk, add the chocolate syrup and continue cooking for another three minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and the butter. Stir until butter is melted. Pour into prepared pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the pie and refrigerate until chilled, 4-5 hours. Serve with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Category: Dessert
Recipe Source: Adapted from The Lion House Cookbook
That pie looks fabulous. I am definitely going to try that for Christmas. I would love to buy a Lion House Cookbook. Can you tell me (or send me a link) to the original one? I’ve seen a couple on line but do not know what the original one looks like or where I can buy a copy. Do you know? Thanks, love your recipes. Have a great holiday.
Hi Teresa! Here is a link to the original Lion House Cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Lion-House-Recipes-Helen-Thackeray/dp/0877478317/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417011588&sr=8-2&keywords=lion+house+cookbooks. You will love it. Thanks for looking. Happy holidays!
How much chocolate syrup? It seems to be missing from the ingredient list.
Oops! Thanks for catching that. Fixed
This is my kind of pie! Thanks for linking up with What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!