A chocolate lover’s dream!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1–3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (, melted)
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk ((you may need a little more to get a “pourable” consistency))
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Once cakes have cooled, use a sharp serrated knife to cut each cake evenly in half, horizontally, so you end up with four cake layers.
- Place your first cake layer on a serving plate. Spread about a 1/4 of the of mousse filling on top of that cake layer. Repeat with the remaining cake layers, adding a layer of mousse filling between each layer of cake. Spread the last 1/4 of the mousse filling, evenly around the entire outside and top of the cake. Refrigerate for about 15-20 minutes.
- To make the mousse filling dissolve the cocoa in the hot water. In a microwave-safe bowl melt the chocolate chips by cooking for 1 minute on high, stir and continue cooking in 30 second increments at 50% power until chocolate chips are melted and can be stirred smooth. Add cocoa mixture to the melted chocolate chips and stir well to combine. In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Add the whipped cream mixture to the melted chocolate and fold in with a spatula until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make frosting, melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk in milk, vanilla, and cocoa, whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and pinch of salt. Continue stirring until smooth and pourable. Pour over cake. Use a spatula or knife to evenly and gently spread the frosting over the outside of the cake as you pour.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve!
- Category: Cakes & Cupcakes