On the Third Day of Sugar my true love gave to me . . . Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Candy Cane Buttercream
I’ve gone from being on a pumpkin kick to a peppermint kick . . .it must be the holidays!
These cookies are so yummy. I took my recipe for chocolate marshmallow cookies and just rolled the dough into smaller balls and then frosted them with insanely good candy cane buttercream, then I rolled the edges in crushed candy cane.
I’ve mentioned it before, but to me, it’s all about the frosting—feel free to use a little less frosting, but why would you?
Make sure when you are crushing the candy canes for the frosting that you pulverize them in a blender or food processor. You want them to turn into powder. Also, if you want the mint flavor a little stronger, add the peppermint extract. I added about 1/4 of a teaspoon and it was just perfect.
These cookies not only look so dang holiday-ish (is that even a word?), they are absolutely delicious!
If you’re needing a fun, yummy neighbor treat, these cookies would be perfect!Print
- 1/2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter (, softened)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 5–6 Tbsp. cream
- 1/2 cup crushed candy cane ((you want it to be like powder))
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract ((optional))
- Extra crushed candy cane for rolling edges ((optional))
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil or a silpat liner.
- In mixing bowl combine shortening, sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Mix well and add in the dry ingredients. Using your hands, roll dough into small balls (about the size of a quarter). Place onto lined cookie sheet. Pat down slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes. Don’t overbake!
- Allow cookies to cool and frost with candy cane butter cream.
- Roll edges in crushed candy cane, if desired.
- In medium size bowl, mix butter, powdered sugar and cream until smooth. Add more cream, if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Mix in candy cane powder and peppermint extract (if using).