This dessert is absolutely spectacular.
It will utterly WOW anyone you make it for, including yourself.
Just look at it. Is it not the most beautiful thing you’ve seen?
It’s layers of moist devil’s food cake, hot fudge sauce, chopped Skor candy bar and whipped cream. How could anyone not fall head over heels in love with this dessert?
It’s not your typical trifle with a pudding or mousse layer. Instead it has this rich, decadent, sinful fudge sauce that will have you licking your bowl, plate, lips, etc. . . There wasn’t much talking going on when my boys were eating this, they were too busy shoveling it into their mouths and going back for seconds. I really need to make this more often.
Find any excuse to make this. . . .make it to celebrate fall approaching, make it because the kids are back in school (yeah!), make it because it’s football season, make it because you slept in and didn’t go to the gym this morning . . . any excuse will do. This trifle is unbelievably delicious!Print
- Cake Layer:
- 1 box devils food cake mix ((prepare according to directions on box))
- Hot Fudge Layer:
- 1 (4 oz) German chocolate bar
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 2/3 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 8 Skor Candy bars (, chopped into pieces)
- 1 3/4 cup whipping cream (, sweetened and whipped)
- Make cake according to package directions for a 9×13 inch pan. Cool cake completely.
- To make the fudge sauce:
- Melt the German chocolate with the chocolate chips and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in the powdered sugar, alternating with the evaporated milk, stir until smooth. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat and allow to cook for 7 minutes at a low boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Allow to cool completely. (I usually put my pan of fudge sauce in an ice bath to speed up the cooling process).
- To assemble the trifle:
- Slice the cake into 1-inch pieces. Line the bottom of a trifle dish or large glass bowl with a single, layer of the cake. Evenly pour 1/4 of the fudge sauce over the cake, followed with 1/4 of the crushed Skor bar, then 1/3 of the whipped cream. Repeat the layering 2 more time and then finished with one more layer of fudge sauce and chopped Skor bar.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight (the longer, the better).