- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound pork sausage (can use Italian too)
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (or 3 tsp. dried)
- 4 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles (*see note)
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain grease. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, Italian seasoning, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce simmers, in a large bowl lightly beat the eggs then add parsley, cottage cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 1 cup meat sauce in an ungreased 13×9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, provolone cheese slices, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover; bake 60 minutes. Uncover; bake for 15 more minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting
- I always make this the night before and DO NOT cook the noodles (I just use regular noodles, not the no-boil kind). I cover it with foil and refrigerate it overnight. The noodles begin to soften overnight and then by baking it covered with foil for the first hour, they turn out perfectly. This saves me the time and hassle of having to boil the noodles and I love making it the night before so it’s already to throw in the oven the day I serve it.
- If you make this the day of, then make sure you boil the noodles before hand or use the no-boil noodles.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 105 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes