This Coconut Cream Pie with Graham Cracker Crust is pie perfection! A thick graham cracker crust, velvety custard filling packed with coconut and topped with sweetened whipped cream. It’s heavenly!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 16 full crackers)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/ 2 cup Butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter at room temp
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flaked sweetened coconut, divided
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar (or a little more if you want it sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Graham Cracker Crust:
- Preheat to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and melted butter. Mix with a fork until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Press the mixture evenly over the bottom and about halfway up the sides of a 9 or 10-inch pie dish. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, salt, cornstarch, and egg yolks and whisk until well blended.
- In a small saucepan, heat the half & half to almost a low boil. Whisk about 1 cup of the hot half & half into the egg yolk mixture, tempering the yolks so they won’t curdle. Continue to whisk in the remainder of the half & half in a steady stream.
- Cook mixture over medium low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter, vanilla, coconut extract, and 1 cup of the coconut. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the custard so that a skin does not form and allow to cool for about 30 minutes or until it reaches room temperature.
- Spread the filling evenly in the graham cracker crust. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling and refrigerate until the filling is cold and firm, at least 3 hours.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer), whip the cream, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip with whipped cream and pipe it over entire surface of pie. Then pipe the rest of the whipped cream on top in decorative swirls. (If you don’t have a pastry bag, you can just spread the whipped cream on with a spatula. The piping just gives it a fancy look). Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut on top of the whipped cream (I toasted mine).
This crust makes a fairly thick crust if you are using a 9-inch pie plate. If you want a slightly thinner crust, then use a 10-inch pie plate. Just realize that the pie filling will not be quite as thick. I used a 10-inch pie plate.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Pies & Pastries