It’s the middle of the week (or hump day as my Parker would say) which totally calls for an insanely yummy treat, don’t you think?
I’ve been wanting for the longest time to make another version of my Over the Top Chex Mix but I just haven’t gotten around to it, until yesterday that is. I finally decided on a Cookies and Cream Chex Mix . . . really smart decision—or maybe it wasn’t!
This stuff is naughty . . . completely naughty! I highly suggest you don’t get stuck in a room by yourself with this or make it when you are the only one home because: (1) because bad things could happen, like you could eat the entire batch and (2) you’ll have to pull out your fat pants. Now that you’ve been warned about this stuff, I wholeheartedly consider myself not liable if any of the above happens.
This couldn’t be easier to make, it comes together in about 15 minutes. The flavor of the vanilla and chocolate Chex combined is perfect but feel free to do more chocolate, less vanilla or vice versa, it’s totally up to you.
I hope you have a chance to try this . . .you’ll either be thanking me or hating me or possibly both.
- 4 cups Chocolate Chex cereal
- 4 cups Vanilla Chex cereal
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups chopped Hershey’s Cookies and Cream candy bar
- 10 Oreos chopped
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Pour measured cereal into a large microwaveable bowl. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- In 2-cup microwaveable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, butter and corn syrup uncovered on high for 1 minute, stir and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in baking soda until dissolved. Pour caramel mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Spread on cookie sheet. Cool 5 minutes.
- Scatter chopped cookies and cream candy bar over the top and gently give the mixture a few tosses. The cookies and cream candy bars begin to soften and melt slightly, don’t over mix. Now scatter the chopped Oreos over the top.
- Melt milk chocolate chips in a small ziploc bag for one 45 seconds, squish it with your hands, continue heating in 15 second increments if needed until it is completely melted. Snip a small corner of the bag and drizzle over the top. Repeat with white milk chocolate chips.
If you can’t find vanilla Chex, you can just go ahead and use all chocolate, but hopefully you will be able to because they are so, so yummy and add the perfect flavor to this mix.