- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 slices white bread , crusts removed, torn
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Microwave onions, garlic, oil and pepper flakes in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes; transfer to a slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, chicken, broth, and sugar. Cover and cook 4 to 5 hours on low.
- Stir in bread, cover and cook on high until bread is saturated and begins to break down, about 10-15 minutes.
- Working in batches, process soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to slow cooker and stir in cream and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in basil and season with extra sugar, if needed, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 300 minutes
- Category: Soups/Chili