A tender vanilla cake topped with a thick layer of the most delicious, buttery crumb topping. This Buttery Crumb Cake is seriously amazing! You’re going to fall in love!
I can’t think of a better (or more delicious) way to start a Monday morning than with a piece of this Buttery Crumb Cake. Can you? I remember growing up making a yummy coffee/crumb cake pretty similar to this one. I think it was a recipe my grandma gave me, but for the life of me I can’t find it anywhere.
When I saw this crumb cake on Pinterest I couldn’t help but think of the one I used to make and knew I had to give this one a try. I absolutely love anything with a streusel or crumb topping. How could you not love a thick layer of buttery, sugary, cinnamon crumbs piled on top of anything. I could do a face plant into this cake . . .it’s so, so delicious.
This cake is moist, tender, and not-to-sweet, even with the crumb topping. It’s perfect and one of the yummiest things ever. I highly recommend eating it while it’s still slightly warm and if you have any left after that, then just nuke a piece for about 10 seconds in the microwave and it’s perfect. Grab a glass of cold milk and a piece of this and you’re day will be perfect.Print
- Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and salt. Pour in melted butter and stir to combine. Add flour and mix until well combined. Set aside to rest while cake batter is prepared.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer beat together butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and milk. Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend until just combined, then add 1/2 of the milk mixture and mix just until combined. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until just combined and then add remaining milk mixture, mixing until combined. Finally add the last 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl using a rubber spatula and fold batter to fully incorporate.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Break crumb mixture into pea size crumbs and drop evenly over batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before cutting.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
I linked up at Buns in My Oven