- 4–5 pounds boneless pork shoulder or pork butt (, cut into 2-inch cubes, fat left intact)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice ((from about 2 to 3 limes))
- 4 cloves garlic (, peeled and crushed)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt (, plus more to taste)
- For serving: corn tortillas (, cheese, shredded lettuce, and salsa verde)
- Place the pork in a large, heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven. Add the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, and salt. Add just enough water to the pot to cover the pork.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered, without stirring, for 2 hours.
- Increase the heat to medium high and stir/turn the meat occasionally. The more you move the meat around the more it will fall apart.
- Continue cooking for 45 minutes or until all of the water has evaporated, leaving only the pork fat. Let it fry, turning as needed, until the pieces are somewhat crispy and browned.
- Add more salt as needed and serve on tortillas with garnishes
Do not fear the mess the bottom of your pan will be in after making these. There will be a black, thick layer of gunk — just fill your pan with water and leave to soak overnight and everything will wipe right out in the morning, or you can fill it with water and put it back on the stovetop and bring it to a boil and let it boil for 10-15 minutes, then remove from heat and let it cool and then clean it out
- Category: Pork