Death By Chocolate Zucchini Bread is a decadent spin on the classic zucchini bread. Amped up with cocoa and chocolate chips, it’s highly addictive and crazy delicious!
It’s that time of year when the zucchini invasion is upon us. It seems like you pick one zucchini and three more appear overnight! You’re probably exhausting all possible ways of using it up. . . baking, frying, sautéing, spiralizing, etc. Who knows, maybe you’ve even tried sneaking out incognito at night and left some on neighbor’s doorsteps (lol!). If you find yourself in any of the aforementioned scenarios, I’ve got your back today.
I’m just going to warn you right up front about this Death by Chocolate Zucchini Bread. It’s definitely more like you’re eating a decadent chocolate cake. . . it’s addicting in the worst way.
This bread is seriously fantastic! This recipe is simple and uncomplicated which makes it even more fantastic! Simply whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside. Then whisk the wet ingredients, fold in the zucchini, then gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake until moist crumbs appear on a toothpick.
Now you just need to practice a little patience while it cools. Oh and don’t feel guilty when you find yourself inhaling your third slice, after all it is loaded with zucchini😉.
Do You Need To Peel Zucchini For This Bread?
I think it’s a personal preference here. I like to peel zucchini when I’m using it for baking, but it’s not necessary. Sometimes I will partially peel it, leaving just a few strips of the skin on for color if I’m making regular zucchini bread. Go ahead and do whatever way you’d prefer it. *Peeling it does disguise it a little more if you’ve got picky eaters and you’re trying to hide it (lol!).
What is the best way to grate zucchini?
You can use a hand or box grater or a food processor. If I’m using my grater, I like to use the larger grate because I feel like the smaller grater can make your zucchini turn to mush. If I use my food processor, I use the grating disc with the larger holes.Print
Death By Chocolate Zucchini Bread is a decadent spin of the classic zucchini bread. Amped up with cocoa and chocolate chips, it’s highly addictive and crazy delicious!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips ((I use half milk, half semisweet))
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 9″-x-5″ loaf pan and dust with a little cocoa powder, tapping out any excess. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another large bowl, stir together sugar, egg, and egg yolk until smooth, melted butter and vanilla and mix until smooth, then fold in zucchini. Gradually add flour mixture, then fold in chocolate chips. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 50 minutes.
- Let bread cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. The bread will keep on the counter, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 4 days (I do like to keep it stored in my fridge). This bread also freezes well. To freeze, cool the bread completely and wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost before slicing.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from the Delish Cookbook (I love this book!)
OTHER ZUCCHINI RECIPES YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE. . . .
Browned Butter Zucchini Coffee Cake