- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons green chiles, canned
- 1/3 cup water (or more if you want your meat “wetter”)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. mini bell peppers, halved
- olive oil cooking spray
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or any kind)
- fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 ripe avocado, (small to medium size)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice (I start with 1)
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 to 5 tablespoons water (or more to get the consistency you want)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef. Break the beef up with a wooden spoon while cooking and cook the until browned and no longer pink.
Drain any excess grease from the skillet. Add chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, maple syrup, water, green chiles and salt. Continue to cook over low heat until combined.
- Cut the tops off of the mini bell peppers and then half each one and clean out the inside.
- Place peppers on baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Fill each pepper with the taco filling then sprinkle on white onion and cheese and place in oven.Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor add the avocado, lime juice, greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons of water. Blend together until smooth. Continue adding more water, one tablespoons at a time, to get the consistency you want. (I like it on the thinner side.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve nachos with avocado crema and fresh cilantro.