This Family Favorite Pasta is one of the yummiest and easiest pasta dishes you’ll ever make. It’s definitely a crowd pleaser. I’ve never met anyone who hasn’t loved it!
If my boys could pick one thing for me to make every week for dinner, it would be this Family Favorite Pasta.
It is delicious!
It is so simple!
It will rock your world!
The first time we had this pasta we were up at my parent’s cabin. From that night on it has been my go-to pasta. I don’t even know the “official” name of it. We just call it either grandma’s pasta or cabin pasta. I think my mom got the recipe from an issue of Taste of Home magazine.
I have made this when we’ve had friends over for dinner. I made it for a teacher dinner at my son’s elementary school. I made it for my husband’s whole family while we were on our vacation in Virginia Beach . . . .EVERY time it has been a winner and EVERY time I get asked for the recipe. Now when my friend’s make it for their families, they call it Jodi’s pasta.
Whatever you decide to call this, I promise you will love it! It will become your new favorite pasta!Print
Family Favorite Pasta
- 1 16– oz pkg. bow tie pasta (I like to use the mini)
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (15 oz) Italian tomatoes (I like to use the petite diced)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion and pepper flakes over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain any grease.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cream, salt and basil. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and add to the with sausage mixture. Stir until well combined. Let pasta simmer for another minute or two to absorb some of the sauce.
- Garnish with cheese and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Because some of my boys are so picky, I put my tomatoes in my blender and pulse a few times before adding them to the meat mixture.
- I usually add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to start, then it I want it to have a little more kick, I will add more
- Category: Pasta
Updated pictures 8/18/2017
Elayne Bridge says
What a fun blog to read. You are so much like your Mom I just have to laugh every time I check in. Love You
YUMMY… “Jodi’s Pasta” is the best!!! This is a family favorite now that Jodi made it for us!!! However, EVERYTHING Jodi makes is to die for!! 🙂
Made this last night! It was so yummy!
Lori West says
This is the most requested pasta recipe at my house….by far!!!
I know this pasta calls for sausage, but we have been trying to eat less meat (yes, it’s been hard because we love love love meat) so I decided to try this without the sausage because it sounded so good. And the verdict was……DELICIOUS!!!! My family loved it, so if you’re looking for a vegetarian summer pasta, this is a fabulous one!!! I can’t wait to try it with the sausage next time!!
Have you tried this with ground beef instead of Italian sausage? I’m wondering if it would be too bland.
Hi Annette! I have not ever tried this with ground beef instead of sausage, but you certainly could. I think it would probably still taste delicious. Let me know if you give it a try.
Michelle Gill says
This is so delicious!! My husband and I are trying not to eat so much meat so I made it without the sausage and it is so good!! I can’t wait to make it with the sausage and try that also!! Once again, 5 Boys Baker pulls through with another delicious meal!!!