- 2 slices bacon, minced
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound red potatoes (about 3 medium), scrubbed and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 boneless , skinless chicken breasts (depending on how much chicken you want, I use 3)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can creamed corn
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups Grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5-7 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and onions and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic,o paste, and tyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in 2 cups broth, scraping up any browned bits then transfer to your slow cooker. Stir remaining 3 cups broth, potatoes, carrot, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on low.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces. Discard bay leaves.
- Microwave bell pepper with remaining teaspoon oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir softened peppers, creamed corn, shredded chicken, cream, chipotles and grated cheese into soup. Cook for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in basil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
I mentioned before that when a recipe calls for minced canned chipotle I freeze the remainder of the can in a Ziploc bag and then just cut of a chunk of it the next time I need it for a recipe.
- Category: Soups/Chili