Buttery, gooey, and 100% addictive, this Gooey Chex Mix will have you completely hooked. One bite is all it takes and you won’t be able to walk away.
I’m sure you’ve all seen, made and/or eaten this highly addictive Gooey Chex Mix. If you haven’t, then your life is not complete. I posted this recipe almost eight years ago and wanted to bring it back into the spotlight just in case some of you have forgotten it exists or honestly didn’t even know about it.This stuff is seriously some of the most insanely good and addictive good stuff you’ll ever eat. It’s impossible to eat just one bite. I should NEVER be left alone with this stuff because the end result would be disastrous. It’s extremely addictive and I have ZERO self-control when it comes to this mix.
With it being the 4th of July this weekend, I thought this would be the perfect treat to make if you’re going camping or having a BBQ. It feeds a crowd and will be loved by everyone.
One summer when we were at the beach, our friends brought a bag of this down to the beach one day, and their son was calling it “heaven in a bag, “ that pretty much sums it up and it’s what my boys now call it.
This stuff is crazy, crazy good. I feel like I’ve warned you enough about how addictive this is, so please don’t send me hate email when you make and eat the entire batch.
CAN I MAKE THIS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, but I wouldn’t make it more than one to two days ahead of time. It is very best the day you make it, but as long as you keep it sealed in a Ziploc bag, it will stay fresh for a couple days. It does tend to get more soft/soggy and not as gooey and chewy on or about day three.
A COUPLE TIPS FOR MAKING GOOEY CHEX MIX:
- Make sure you let this come to a boil and then start counting down the four minutes, and cook it for the full four minutes. The mix will stay chewier and gooey longer if you cook it correctly.
- Make sure you put the cereals, coconut and almonds in a really large bowl. This will make it so much easier to stir it and get it evenly coated once you pour the gooey buttery mixture over it.
- 1 box (12 oz) Rice Chex
- 1 box (11.7 oz) Golden Grahams
- 1 pkg. (5-7 oz) slivered almonds
- 1 pkg. (7 oz) coconut
- 3 sticks butter (I use salted)
- 2 cups corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine cereals, almonds and coconut in a large (very large) mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In medium-size sauce pan combine the butter, sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking at a low/medium boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour over cereal mixture and stir until cereal mixture is evenly coated.
- Spread mixture out onto prepared cookie sheets and let cool.
- Pour back into a large bowl or into Ziploc bags.
- Because I like mine more on the gooey side, sometimes I only use a little more than 3/4 of the box of each cereal.
Originally posted October 4, 2012