Greek Chicken Souvlaki grilled to perfection and served with delicious Lemon Rice. It’s the perfect weeknight dinner and is going to be loved by even your pickiest eaters.
You guys, we have fallen in love with this Greek Chicken Souvlaki and Lemon Rice. I think I’ve probably made it three times over the last couple weeks and we have devoured it every single time.
The chicken is flavorful, tender and juicy and amazing on it’s own. Try wrapping a piece or two of it in some warm buttery, garlic pita bread. . . holy moly it’s absolutely scrumptious!
This is such a simple meal to make and I actually love that it has to be made ahead of time so it can marinate. I will get it ready first thing in the morning and then let the chicken marinate all day. I soak my wooden skewers for about 30-45 minutes before I’m ready to grill the chicken.
The lemon rice is a must make to go along with this chicken. It just has a hint of lemon, it’s not overpowering at all. If you want a stronger lemon flavor you could add more lemon zest.
I’ve made this using both long grain rice and converted long grain rice (Uncle Ben’s brand). The picture on the left is the converted rice, the picture on the right is regular, long grain rice. The flavor is the same, they just cook up a little differently. The converted rice makes fluffier, separated grains of cooked rice. They’re both delicious so use what you have on hand.
With the weather finally starting to get warmer, it’s definitely time for you to pull out your grill. This chicken souvlaki should be one of the first things you grill up.
WHAT IS CHICKEN SOUVLAKI?
Chicken souvlaki is a Greek dish that’s made with marinated pieces of chicken grilled on a skewer. It’s often served with pita bread.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHICKEN SOUVLAKI?
- This recipe starts with boneless skinless chicken breasts. The chicken is cut into chunks and marinated in garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and herbs. I like to let it marinade at least 3 to 4 hours, but usually do it longer than that.
- After the chicken marinates, the chicken pieces are threaded onto skewers and grilled.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SOUVLAKI:
- Lemon rice. In my opinion, this is a must serve with souvlaki.
- Warm pita bread. The buttery garlic mixture brushed on top is amazing!
- A simple side salad greek style. I throw in cucumbers, kalamata olives, red onions and some Feta cheese tossed with
- Seasoned red potatoes would also be delicious served with this chicken souvlaki.
Recipe Source: 5 Boys Baker