This Green Chile Egg Casserole is a simple, delicious breakfast casserole that can be made ahead of time or right on the spot. It’s perfect for Christmas morning or any time of the year.
Breakfast is my absolute favorite part of Christmas morning! As kids, we went to my grandparents Christmas morning and my grandpa made his amazing omelettes. I can honestly say I loved (and still love) Christmas morning breakfast even more than getting gifts.
If you’re looking for the perfect Christmas casserole, this Green Chile Egg Casserole is it! It’s so fast and simple that you can throw it together in about 10 minutes, or make it the night before and leave it in the fridge so all you have to do is pop it in the oven on Christmas morning.
No getting up at 5:00 AM for this one.
A savory egg casserole loaded with green chiles, and lots cheese and it’s loaded with protein. . . sound good?
This recipe is simple, yet so delicious! It will be the perfect addition to your holiday breakfast, brunches and/or even dinner.
A few things about this simple egg casserole:
- If you can’t get past the fact that there is cottage cheese in this recipe, I promise you you’ll never know it’s in there. It bakes into the casserole and basically melts in with the rest of the ingredients to give this savory casserole its tasty texture. Even self-proclaimed cottage cheese haters like this recipe.
- You can use any blend of cheese in this that you want. A couple of my favorite combinations are Monterey jack and pepper jack, using 1 1/2 cups of each; sharp cheddar, Monterey jack and pepper jack, using 1 cup of each. Play around with the cheeses, you really can’t go wrong.
- The diced green chilies are really mild, so there is no need to worry if you have someone who can’t do hot and spicy.
- This casserole is delicious as is, but you could add in some cooked bacon, ham or sausage for even more flavor.
How to Make Green Chili Egg Casserole:
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. (I like using my hand mixer rather than just using whisk, but either way works just fine.)
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt and pepper.
- Add in the cottage cheese, shredded cheese, butter, and diced green chilies, stirring just until combined.
- Pour into a buttered 9×13-inch baking dish, then bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
- Wait just a few minutes for it to cool and set up a bit, then slice and serve warm! Add any toppings you’d like . . . sour cream, salsa, avocado etc. or keep it simple and plain.
This casserole is delicious on its own, or we love to top it off with sour cream and salsa. Anyway you serve this, it’s going to be delicious.
Make this ahead of time.
You can make this casserole and then cover it and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake it. When you’re ready to eat the casserole, remove it from the fridge, preheat the oven and bake.