This Ground Turkey & Sweet Potato Taco Skillet is loaded with veggies, protein, and so much flavor! All you need is one skillet, simple ingredients and about 30 minutes for the perfect, simple weeknight dinner.
I love delicious, simple skillet dinners. They usually require minimal effort and taste amazing! I have ranted and raved before about so many skillet meals here on my site, so please bear with me while I do it yet again. This Ground Turkey & Sweet Potato Taco Skillet is phenomenal! It’s the perfect on-pan meal for your family!
It’s healthy, filling, loaded with flavor and incredibly easy to throw together. This dinner fits the bill when it comes to something healthy and satisfying.
You can use store-bought salsa or homemade, either one is fine. My current favorite store-bought salsa is the Mateo’s Gourmet Salsa. It’s so good and has a little bit of smoky flavor. I always grab a few bottles of it at Costco when they have it on coupon. You can also find it at Walmart and on Amazon. I also love using my homemade salsa for this skillet dinner.
- Brown your turkey in a skillet, add the seasonings and cook a few more minutes. Stir in the diced sweet potatoes, black beans and salsa. Give it a good stir and then cover and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add some fresh baby spinach and continue cooking until the spinach begins to wilt.
Once the spinach is wilted, add some grated cheese on top and cover for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
This skillet meal is wildly delicious all on it’s own, but when you throw a few toppings on it, it’s even more amazing.
Some of my favorite toppings are:
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- lime juice
- fresh cilantro
- extra cheese
A few tips and variations:
- Veggies. If you want to add even more veggies, try using bell peppers or corn.
- Potatoes. If you’re not a fan of sweet potatoes, try using red potatoes, Russet or Yukon gold.
- Meat. Feel free to use ground chicken or beef in this recipe. Also, if you’re using a ground turkey that is lower in fat, it will release more water. Most of the water should evaporate as you cook this over heat, but if it doesn’t drain off any excess liquid before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Cheese. I love this with Colby jack cheese, but you could use pepper jack, cheddar, Mozzarella, or whatever other cheese you like.
- This is delicious on it’s own or you can serve it with tortilla chips, over rice or cauliflower rice, with tortilla shells. Anything goes here.
I hope you give this one a try!Print